1969-12-06 Paris, France Options · View
Treadmore
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:33:28 AM

suggest:
locale=Chatenay-Malabry
city=Paris
ssellers
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:30:23 AM

The city is "Châtenay-Malabry", it's downsouth from Paris.
Your Overlord is right !
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:31:23 AM

Great stuff guys.Wink

I'll take a look at all of these threads. One of the things that I will be putting in a future build(probably the next one) will be metropolitan areas of cities. That way all of the little places around London, Paris, New York, Los Angeles, etc... will still be filterable by the larger city name.
ssellers
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:34:57 AM

Your Overlord wrote:
One of the things that I will be putting in a future build(probably the next one) will be metropolitan areas of cities. That way all of the little places around London, Paris, New York, Los Angeles, etc... will still be filterable by the larger city name.

Nice !
Treadmore
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:35:51 AM

ssellers wrote:
Your Overlord is right !

Well I know I should defer to ssellers Laughing

but...

isn't it this place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2tenay-Malabry ?

Now maybe it is formally a city, by whatever definition, but for London at least YO was using the metropolitan area of London to cover "City" in the database e.g. shows in the City of Westminster, are nevertheless given London as the City
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:24:15 AM

Treadmore wrote:
ssellers wrote:
Your Overlord is right !

Well I know I should defer to ssellers Laughing

but...

isn't it this place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2tenay-Malabry ?

Now maybe it is formally a city, by whatever definition, but for London at least YO was using the metropolitan area of London to cover "City" in the database e.g. shows in the City of Westminster, are nevertheless given London as the City

I am actually no longer doing that on purpose. You were one of the people who convinced me that I should be more accurate with the city names. Mikezep61 convinced me that I should be more accurate on whether a given date is disputed or not.

Many of the choices that I made early in the project were made basically to solve a problem that I had at the time, or to preserve something that I originally wanted in the project, like being able to sort on Cityname. I am going to transfer that ability to sorting on metropolitan area as a way of preserving that feature, and use the more specific name for the cityname to be as accurate as possible.

If Westminster is its own city then I would like to make that the city name. Which show is in Westminster?
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:35:28 AM

ssellers wrote:
Your Overlord is right !

Following changes to be reflected in data version 7

Renamed city 'Chatenay-Malabry' to 'Châtenay-Malabry'
Treadmore
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:43:15 AM

Your Overlord wrote:
Treadmore wrote:

I am actually no longer doing that on purpose. You were one of the people who convinced me that I should be more accurate with the city names.

damn!

Laughing
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:55:57 AM

^^

So which show is in Westminster as opposed to London?
Treadmore
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:11:51 AM

off-topic but a quick reply, the Marquee Club is in Soho, City of Westminster, for instance

Soho=a district
City of Westminster is a city, obvioulsy
and it's in the London Metropolitan area
Treadmore
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:15:57 AM

Some other's I posted elsewhere Wink - do you want me to start a thread on each of these?

Marquee Club, Soho, City of Westminster
Playhouse Theatre, Strand, City of Westminster
Hornsey Wood Tavern, Finsbury Park, Haringey
Cook's Ferry Inn, Edmonton, Enfield
Maida Vale Studios, Maida Vale, City of Westminster
("BBC TV Studios" ) Lime Grove Studios, Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:26:34 AM

Ok, yes, please make a post for each. Since I only have Venue, City and locale, I may not be able to accommodate all of the changes, but I will try.

EDIT: no need to make separate posts for these changes. I am already working on them.Wink
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:09:38 PM

Treadmore wrote:
Some other's I posted elsewhere Wink - do you want me to start a thread on each of these?

It looks like both Edmonton and Enfield are cities. Are you saying that the Cook's Ferry Inn is in the city of Enfield, but a district of Edmonton?
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:35:15 PM

Treadmore wrote:

Following changes to be reflected in data version 7

Added city of 'Westminster' and geocoded it
Changed the city for 'Marquee Club' from 'London' to 'Westminster'
Added the locale of 'Soho' and assigned it to all of the Marquee dates
Changed the city for 'Playhouse Theatre' from 'London' to 'Westminster'
Added city of 'Haringey' and geocoded it
Changed the city for 'Hornsey Wood Tavern' from 'London' to 'Haringey'
Added locale of 'Finsbury Park' and assigned it to the 'Hornsey Wood Tavern' date
Changed the city for 'Maida Vale Studio 4' from 'London' to 'Westminster'
Added the city of 'Hammersmith' and geocoded it
Changed the city for 'BBC TV Lime Grove Studio G' from 'London' to 'Hammersmith'
Treadmore
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 12:17:31 AM

Sorry, I had to sleep Smile

I should have put more detail in some of those because my list above is misleading.

Enfield, Haringey and Hammersmith are all boroughs, (Metropolitan) London Boroughs. So they're not cities in their own right.

In the "Venue, Locale, City" scheme, then your revisions are ok if you allow borough=city. If, not then, mark them as in London, and you then have a choice for locale, in each case.

Sorry for the confusion YO!
Your Overlord
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 6:23:59 AM

Treadmore wrote:
Sorry, I had to sleep Smile

I should have put more detail in some of those because my list above is misleading.

Enfield, Haringey and Hammersmith are all boroughs, (Metropolitan) London Boroughs. So they're not cities in their own right.

In the "Venue, Locale, City" scheme, then your revisions are ok if you allow borough=city. If, not then, mark them as in London, and you then have a choice for locale, in each case.

Sorry for the confusion YO!

Man, England is complicated!wall

Are those Boroughs inside London proper or are they just in the metropolitan areas?

Westminster seems to be just as close to the center of London as some of the others are.

I'm not trying to display a mailing address here, just some location information. Does someone living in the UK consider the Marquee to be in London or Westminster?
Treadmore
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 12:04:15 PM

Your Overlord wrote:

Man, England is complicated!wall

It's just that it's not always possible to be consistent Laughing i.e. sometimes a district name would mean more to most people than the borough name and vice-versa.

I'm sure it's the same the world-over Wink

The boroughs above are in London Metropolitan area. London City is literally a square mile in area - tiny. City of Westminster isn't large either, and in most people's mind is associated with Parliament and politics.

To be a little more helpful (I hope!):

For the Marquee, most folk would just think "London"; I think "Soho, London" would do.

For Playhouse Theatre, most people would probably think "West End (London)" - but the West End is not even a formal district, let alone Borough! "Strand (London)" should do.

"Finsbury Park" is reasonably well-known I think; "Finsbury Park, London" should do.

Enfield is undoubtedly better known than Edmonton (even most UK folk that had heard of a place called Edmonton would think of Canada!). So I'd suggest "Enfield, London".

I'd suggest "Maida Vale, London".

Because the venue is the very well-known BBC TV studios, then "Shepherd's Bush, London" is best. Any other venue, I'd have suggested "Hammersmith, London" probably.

How else can I help? Laughing

I'll look through the latest release again, and see if anything could be better described - but accurracy and common understanding are not the same! And being limited to "locale, city" is tough.
Your Overlord
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 5:16:43 PM

Alright, it wouldn't be very difficult to add another field for locations in England if need be and it seems like it would simplify things.think

If I added another field for Borough or District do you think that we could nail all of these places down to the following?

Venue: The name of the building they played in

Locale: secondary location information such as the name of the school where a show was played or the name of the radio show that they were recording

District/Borough: I could call this one a district or a borough for any given date if I set it up correctly.

Cityname: the name of the city. Every show is in a city. It must be.

Metropolitan area: a catch all to make all of the areas around big cities filterable based on the big city.
Treadmore
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 12:51:31 PM

sorry for delay

All that would work, but I guess it's the same everywhere - not just England, right?

Regarding City - not every show was in a city, Guildford springs to mind as one case in England.

With the current "venue, locale, city" there's honestly very little that needs changing in the db: it's more a case of adding locale names. I think we could make that work - I'll try to help whichever way Smile
Your Overlord
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 7:33:36 PM

I undid these two changes and set them both back to 'London'

Changed the city for 'Hornsey Wood Tavern' from 'London' to 'Haringey'
Changed the city for 'BBC TV Lime Grove Studio G' from 'London' to 'Hammersmith'